We are called to go out and make disciples of the nations. And disciples are just fellow students of the Word of God that we come alongside to encourage, uplift, correct, instruct, and equip. And even though we are best served by maintaining an attitude of the humble servant, we will be leaders – not leaders like those in the world who control people through money, power, manipulation, and trickery – but leaders by the example that we set in our lives.
So as we grow in this walk – if we truly dive into living God with our heart, soul, strength, and mind – if we share the compelling testimony of Christ alive in our lives to the lost – we will eventually find ourselves with people who are a combination of confused, somewhat interested, seeking, zealous, humble, etc that want more of what they can see we’ve been touched with. And whether you wanted it, or sought it, or feared it – you are going to be a source of light for others. It’s scary, humbling, and encouraging all wrapped up in one – and most of us learn by “on the job training”.
These are some helpful things that can guide you that day when you look up from just being a servant faithfully following Christ – to realize that you’ve accumulated a small group of followers who trust and look to you for encouragement, accountability, and wise counsel. We want to be a help and not a hindrance, so this is some helpful guidance that I’ve used.
Eight habits of effective small-group leaders
1. Dream of leading a healthy, growing, multiplying group.
2. Pray for group members daily.
3. Invite new people to visit the group weekly.
4. Contact group members regularly.
5. Prepare for the group meeting.
6. Mentor an apprentice leader.
7. Plan group fellowship activities.
8. Be committed to personal growth.
Qualities of a Good Leader
1) Works Hard – Proverbs 12:24
2) Doesn’t penalize people for honesty – Proverbs 17:26
3) Listens before answering – Proverbs 18:13
4) Open to new ideas – Proverbs 18:135
5) Listens to both sides of the story – Proverbs 18:17
6) Stands up under pressure – Proverbs 24:10
7) Stands up under praise – Proverbs 27:21
Dangers when there is a lack of good leadership
1) Fools are honored – Proverbs 26:8
2) A wicked ruler is dangerous – Proverbs 28:15
3) People groan – Proverbs 29:2
4) A wicked ruler has wicked advisors – Proverbs 29:152
Other verses to study
1) Preparation – Proverbs 27:24
2) Revive/Refresh – Proverbs 25:13
3) Recognition – Proverbs 27:138